If you’re packing to jet off somewhere far this week, you’ve probably already exhausted the guide book in preparation. These travel bibles set you up to have the best holiday possible. And yes, they may tell you where the best restaurants are, lead you to hidden street art, or teach you some language basics, but I bet they won’t include any of these weird and wonderful facts…
Unfortunately, we can’t include all the countries in our list. Hopefully though, the destination you’re headed to is on there, so you can share your quirky fact with everyone you meet.
1.There is no railway system in Iceland.
2. In Britain, putting a postage stamp with the Queen’s image onto your envelope upside-down is considered an act of treason.
3. You can buy square watermelons in Japan, they were developed to stack together more easily in supermarkets.
4. In Sweden, “sliding in on a shrimp sandwich” is a popular saying for people who haven’t had to work hard to get where they are in life.
5. Traffic in Moscow is so bad that wealthy Russians hire fake ambulances to beat the jams.
6. France covers the most time zones.
7. Nauru is the fattest nation in the world.
8. Liechtenstein is the world’s largest producer of false teeth.
9. The Italian traffic police have been known to use Lamborghinis to catch speeders.
10. Brazil has been the world’s largest exporter of coffee for more than 150 years.
11. Monaco is smaller than Central Park, New York.
12. America has the highest number of people behind bars.
13. Nigeria has the highest rate of twin births in the world.
14. Greenland isn’t allowed to join FIFA because the bad weather means they can’t go grass there.
15. Malta has the highest rate of emigration in the world.
16. Canada consumes more mac and cheese than any other country in the world.
17. Bhutan measures Gross Domestic Happiness rather than Gross Domestic Product like other countries.
18. Shampooing was invented in India. The word ‘shampoo’ derived from the Sanskrit word champu, which means to massage.
19. The shortest war ever recorded took place in Zanzibar. The dispute was between Zanzibar and Britain and lasted only 28 minutes before Sultan Khalid bin Barghash raised the white flag of surrender.
20. Australia has the world’s longest golf course, measuring more than 850 miles long.
21. Scotland’s national animal is the unicorn.
22. There are only 13 letters in the Hawaiian alphabet and every word ends with a vowel.
23. China have been known to use Geese as police animals because of their threatening and aggressive behaviour.
24. Jamaica was the first tropical country to take part in the Winter Olympics.
25. Papua New Guinea has the highest number of languages spoken in the world.
Do you have any fun facts you want to add? Share them in the comments below or Tweet us @B Sunglassesunglasses